Just 140 girls took A-level Computing last year. Now, I know it could be argued that they took Mathematics instead and are still planning to go into Computer Science. However I remember working at ARM and HR did everything possible to try to encourage women to apply, but even so about 90% of the applicants were men.
5 Noble Reasons
- A woman invented coding, you can be part of the sisterhood. (Ada Lovelace)
- You can choose to focus on problem-solving or be creative
- Women have improved humanity, because of their coding skills. (Look to the right)
- It's actually a very caring profession. Great code makes people's lives easier, more fun and productive.
- You can give back to the world - Open Source is a movement to share applications and programs with the world.
- It pays more than a lot of professions.
- You can work from home. If you have a child, you can easily take on freelance projects after the children have gone to bed. With programming you can have it all!
- I don't like to say this, but if you want to marry a rich man, your chances are greatly improved in the technology sector.
- There's no physical work in this. You don't have to do lots of horrible exercise. Unless you want to, but surely you'd prefer the air-conditioned gym included in your package?
- You could work in a beautiful office with most of the chores done for you, have you seen Google or Apple's offices?